May 12, 2009

Foodie in a new home! ^_^

I'm so excited about my new apartment, I still can't believe that it's all set and done. Of course, there are still stuffs that I need to get and fix, especially I'll hang some of my best friend's painting on the wall. He does abstract paintings like Miro that I like a lot and I think they will fit well on my living room. ^_^ stay tune!
After three days of moving and ordering, I was extremely exhausted. My whole body hurt and I could easily fall into sleep in a chair (the average of night sleeping was around 3), so I spent Sunday and Monday to recover... doing nothing but lying on the coach to watch TV and eat. ^_^ 100% of leisure, so enjoyable! Oh.... I've decided to continue this amazing leisure time until my intern begins, which is after Memorial Day. So, it's going to be two weeks of vacation!!! I don't think I'll go anywhere, because my new getaway (paradise) is my home! ^_^

I've been eating some good food since I moved in (during the process of moving, I was eating bars and chocolates, not healthy, but I had no choice). Let me show you my first eats in the new apt.
Sunday Breakfast: oat bran with mango puree and unsweetened coconut
with coffee of course
Delish~~~ (are you tired of reading I say delish/delicious to all my food???)
For lunch I had Kashi frozen entree and a spinach salad with salsa (I haven't done groceries yet)It was my first time to both products... and they were surprisingly good. I was skeptical about frozen food, but this one really tasted like homemade.
Dessert: ricotta cheesecake with chocolate ice cream. Yum Yum~~
PM snack: half oatmeal bagel with homemade almond butter
Dinner. OH.... I forgot to tell you that I've decided to use my pantry items (I didn't know I had so much food out there until this moving. As I don't like to throw out food, I need to use them before they expire). So, first meal from the pantry: mushroom/fungus medley!
seaweed salad:salmon and spinach quiche
All with a millet porridge
Dessert: frozen strawberries with fage (another of my fav. dessert)
Monday
Breakfast: steel cuts with banana, almond milk, flax meal, topped with mixgranola and almond butter.
Look who was my company
AM snack: tea with treat from Krista
Lunch was leftovers: mushroom/fungus medley, millet porridge and quiche
Dessert: ricotta cheesecake
And while I was watching Lipstick Jungle, I had the last piece
PM snack: fresh strawberries with cottage cheese
Dinner: salad with mango dressing (from Krista) with milanesa
no, that's not wine! it's water with POM juice.
Dessert: steamed kabocha!Sooooooooooo enjoyable and delicious everything. don't you think?

Someone asked me yesterday if I feel lonely by living alone. I'd say not at all! I am a quiet person who enjoy being with myself. Living alone allows you to do whatever you want whenever you want. You don't have to give explanation to anyone why you're doing it and why you don't want to talk sometimes. And another benefit especially important to me is I can go to sleep whenever I want and do not have to worry about what other person is doing (because I can't sleep with any kind of noise). Feeling lonely? Not anymore. When I was younger, I needed to have someone with me all the time because otherwise I'd feel lonely. But as I get older, I realized that it's more difficult to be alone with oneself than being with others. To be alone and not get anxious is not easy, and you can only do it if you're your best friend. Also being alone let you think more about you, about your life and about how to enjoy when you are with others. I think as everything else, it's just a balance. It's not good to be alone all the time or never, it'd better if we feel comfortable being with ourselves and enjoy being with others at the same time.

Question: Have you experienced something similar? that you used to be afraid of being alone and enjoy it now?

16 comments:

Kelly said...

I just found your blog and I'm already hungry :)
I just wanted to say I have never actually lived alone, but I think I'd be quite good at it. It's hard to live with a lot of people! I enjoy when no one is home and I can't do whatever I want, whenever I want. Now I just live with my fiance and luckily I don't feel like I have to explain myself to him much. I think I understand people who like living alone a lot better than I understand people who like living with a lot of people :)

Anonymous said...

I've lived on my own for nearly a year and love it. I know I'm not ready to be living with a boyfriend (not that I have one, but it'd be a while before I took that step) I have the benefit of living near my parents so I know I can always pop their if I need to. I just love the independance it gives me and as you said being able to do what you want whenever you want.

Anonymous said...

YUM! I love the looks of that ricotta cheesecake! And your lunch guest is super cute. Are those clear chairs at your table? So cool!
I have only lived alone for one year in my entire life (but I still had cats). It was great!

Anonymous said...

What lovely food! The salmon and spinach quiche looks divine. Your food is always so creative! Its as though you never cook the same thing twice!

And I like that you say delish/delicious a lot... you're just being honest!

I've never lived alone, but I'm an only child so I'm used to entertaining myself and being alone a lot. I'm moving out of home later this year so I'll be able to answer your question more fully then - but I think a part of me will miss not having my mum around :-(

Emily said...

Have fun relaxing! I'm so jealous! :-) Looks like your apartment is super nice!

I like living with my friends because you have built in people to hang with! But I'm also ok with doing stuff on my own because I'm really independent, and sometimes you just need time to yourself.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I used to like living with friends but I prefer living alone, of course Allen is here all the time and I will be happy when he moves in permanently after we get married, but I would be content living alone too. How do you make your oat bran? I bought some but I'm not sure what to do with it!

Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

Sarah: for oatbran, I use 1/3 or 1/2 cup of oatbran with 1 or 1.5 cup of water. Keep this proportion, otherwise it will be too try. And add in whatever you like. I use almond breeze as liquid, vanilla for flavor and egg white for protein.

Krista said...

Mmmmm...all your great food is BACK!! I love how you served yourself a snack on a tray with such pretty dinnerware. Way to treat yourself nicely! :)

I've never lived alone and my house is rarely quiet with the kids around so when I do get a few moments of silence, I truly treasure them!

Pearl said...

coco - are you still coming to san diego?

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

What a feast after all that exercise!! Loved every dish-the mango had me drooling!!
I've never lived alone-not sure I want to try it either.I like my solitude for a couple of hours only!!

The Dainty Pig said...

Mmmmmm! that mushroom/fungus medley looks SOOOO good! And what a nice seaweed salad, it must have been delicious.
So glad you're going to take some time to yourself to relax and enjoy your new apartment.

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

glad you are loving your new place! and good for you on using up the pantry stuffs, way to be creative :)

i have lived with a boyfriend, by myself, with a mix of boy and girl roommates, and with all girls. currently, i live with 4 other girls, 4 dogs and 1 cat.

personally i prefer living alone. i like to live with others because sometimes it is nice to have their company, but ultimately i really like having my own space (my own kitchen & fridge space!), having things organized and decorated the way i prefer, and not having loud people coming home from the bar on a work night.. happens a lot. also i have found that when i live alone, if i do want some company i just go over to a friend's house to hang out and i can leave whenever i am ready to be alone again. all of this said, i would never survive without the companionship of a dog :)

my 2 cents!

Anonymous said...

you have been eating some amazing stuff as usual - all the more exciting to be eating them in a new enviroment! i miss kabocha.... and have you put up a recipe for the salmon/spin quiche?? i reeeeally want to make it!

love the adorable setting of your tea set - makes it all the more enjoyable for you, i'm sure :)

i have always liked having alone-time, and when i lived on my own i liked most of it - but i did get a bit lonely sometimes. it just gets quite quiet, and sometimes i wanted to come home and talk about something to someone, but there was noone there! living with my family can be stressful too, so there are ups and downs about everything :)

Alison Can Read said...

I loved living alone. It was so quiet. And I could do whatever I want.

Love the pics. The mango puree in your oats looks especially good.

Maggie said...

Mmmm kabocha.

I lived "alone" kind of in college for a semester (i had a single in a dorm) but aside from that I've always had a roommate or lived with Bobby. I love living alone. I love living with Bobby because we are so comfortable with each other. I am definitely a loner though - I love having time for me :)

ChickPea said...

LOVE Sunday's breakfast! It's beautiful and incorporates my fave fruit of the moment--mango!

I used to think that I was perfectly content being alone, then I came to college and discovered that I really enjoy having just one person with whom I can spend my evening. Go figure!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin