May 4, 2009

cooking & baking!! ^_^ (be prepared for pic attack!)

Sunday was GREAT!!!! I can't remember the last time I did this, spending the whole afternoon/evening cooking/baking/grounding goodies. It was sooooooo enjoyable, perfect "date" for a rainy Sunday. Besides of this, I went to yoga in the morning and did groceries, WF, Tj's and local supermarket. ($80 in total). I had all the intention to buy less and use what I have in the pantry, but then when I see fresh veggies/fruits, I just can't help myself! Gr......... will power = ZERO. But I didn't care too much, since I know I'd be eating them all!!! As long as I don't waste food, I am ok, right?

Okay. let's move to my food adventure.
Breakfast was boring but yummy: Tj's english muffin (double toasted), poached egg white, LC, Cinnamon Swirl PB, apple and blackberries.AM snack (on the road): Quaker True Delight (recycled pic)A very BROCCOLI Lunch (all leftovers): last portion of vegetarian lasagna, cheeseless cheesy broccoli puree, steamed broccoli and broccoli slaw with bbq sauce.Dessert: white fungus porridge and dark chocolate.I chilled out a little bit catching up some blogs and then immersed myself into the kitchen accompanied by some Easy Listening music. HEAVEN!!!

#1: Dill cornbread. Original recipe provided by Krista, here's my version
  • 1 cup corn meal (polenta)
  • 3/4 cup almond breeze
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbp Tj's 10 seasoning
  • 2-3 tbps chopped fresh dill
Mix everything and bake for 30 min at 425F. End result
It was amazingly delicious! Just the kind the I like. I had square 10 min after coming out from the oven.
#2
: my first homemade Almond Butter. I've always wondering how to make it so I asked Ashley and she was so nice to provide me with detailed instructions. So, I made Roasted almond butter. It was soooooo fun making it, especially when the ball became butter, it was magic! End result
perfectly smooth, amazing roasted almond flavor! Perfection! I am already thinking what to make for the next batch. Because this 1/2 jar won't last for long.

#3
: dates meal! I had some dry chinese dates that I didn't know how to have it. So, I grounded them and will use it for toppings. Like this: 1/4 cup Fage + strawberries + dates meal. Yek!! people, I officially ended my dairy free mode! I just miss it and felt my body craved it, so I will have them back, but in small portions! ^_^

#4: low fat/ low cal ricotta cheesecake. Original recipe provided by Ashley too, but I made some modifications. So, here's my version of it
  • 1 cup part skim ricotta
  • 1 cup firm tofu (I wanted to see how tofu works for baking and cut back on dairy)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 packet vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1/4 cup stevia
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
  • 1/4 cup flax meal
Mix everything and bake for 40 min at 375F in the top rack and put a pan with water in the lower rack.
End result

#5: roasted rainbow carrots with dill
I've been wanting to make these for so long and finally got some fresh herbs and time to make it.
  • 3 carrots (1 orange, 1 white, 1 pinky orange)
  • 1 tbsp olive
  • 2 tbsp balsamic
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2-3 tbsp fresh dill
Coarse the carrots with the mix of the remaining ingredients and bake at 375 for an hour.I ended up everything around 8pm and had a delicious dinner: sauteed mustard greens with garlic, roasted carrots, barley risotto and smoked salmon (Tj's).Dessert: ricotta cheesecake with a blueberries sauce (just blend some frozen blueberries and some lemon juice).it was soooooo good, so smooth, perfectly sweetened. I went for another piece right after these
Such a fantastic dinner~~~ I enjoyed soooo much!

Question: Can you stick to a recipe? or you're like me who just to put some personal touch on every recipe?

oh... FAQ part 2 will come soon, if you missed FAQ part 1, check here!

25 comments:

Krista said...

What a fabulous, fabulous day of baking!!! I love your take on my cornbread recipe! I love that recipe for how versatile it is...

I agree that homemade almond butter ROCKS! I've done PB, too and cashew is next on my list.

Great post, COCO!!!!

Sharon said...

Hahaha, I'm not much on following a recipe. I like doing my own thing, but with the recipe as a guideline. Venturing to see what comes out of the oven and tasting it, is the best part.. Minus the spitting out of it, if it ugh.. is.. not edible. :P

Anonymous said...

Wow Coco! You're weren't kidding - you did a LOT of baking and cooking. I am so impressed with how original you are with the recipes! The dill cornbread looks amazing, the almond butter looks DELISH, and the ricotta cheesecake - AMAZING! What an excellent idea to use tofu! I would never have thought of it! I'm guessing you must have liked it given you went for another slice. I'm glad to hear it! I'll have to try your modification next time I make it :-)

In answer to your question I never stick to a recipe either. Where's the fun in that? :-)

Alison Can Read said...

Great looking baking! Can't decide which looks best to me.

I usually do follow recipes, unless I know there is an ingredient I don't like or I really like. I always leave out mushrooms and I'll add extra cinnamon or garlic to recipes calling for them.

Pearl said...

wow you definitel cooked/pureed/ground/baked up a storm! everything looks lovely :)

The Purple Carrot said...

How fun!!! Looks like you baked up some very delicious items : )

TheBoyfriend1124 said...

All those new things looks really delicious.


I am waiting for that.....:)

annie said...

I always follow a recipe because I don't want to mess it up!

you were busy this weekend weren't you! haha

Run Sarah said...

Everything looks awesome! I have been tweaking recipes more often, mainly because I dony have all the ingredients!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

What a fun way to spend a Sunday!!
I normally follow a recipe to the T the first time(so that I know what the original recipe tastes like)-after that I'm a lot more flexible and also substitute ingredients.

Maggie said...

Haha, you know me - I can never stick to a recipe! Sounds like a great Sunday. I definitely need to have a baking day of my own :)

Erica said...

YUM! So much cooking/baking!! I want to try that ricotta cheesecake. Glad you had such a nice day ;)

Anonymous said...

i LOVE days like that. definitely time well spent!

like you, i absolutely cannot stick to recipes. i used to, but i can't make myself do it anymore!

The Dainty Pig said...

oh wow!! everything looks soooo good. A day well spent, Coco.
I don't think I have ever once stuck to a recipe....hahaha. I always substitute, add in things, or just change amounts around. Luckily so far, I haven't met with any disasters. Happy eating of all your goodies!

Anonymous said...

hiiii! can you send me your email address? holey donuts requested that they get the winners' email address for their delivery purpose

janetha said...

wow thanks for all the great recipes!

i usually put a little twist on most recipes, it is rare i follow them by-the-book. also my boyfriend pointed out that i never measure out anything. i guess this could be bad or good. cant wait to try some of these ideas :)

Emily said...

looks like a great day of baking and cooking! :-)

i like to deviate from recipes a little...makes it more fun!

Jessica said...

Wow you have been busy! That ricotta cheesecake looks amazing, I love the idea of silken tofu in it.

Julie said...

holy delicious food you busy busy beaver!

ChickPea said...

Don't worry you're not alone on the will power thing--I just can't resist beautiful produce!
Lovin that broccoli-tastic meal.
I can never stick to a recipe. It's a rare occasion that I make just one substitution--it's usually at least 3!

Nabeela said...

The ricotta-tofu cheesecake sounds heavenly!

Gina; The Candid RD said...

Yeah for the homemade almond butter!! I was looking at your pictures with my bf, Nick, and we both LOVE broccoli, but he doesn't like the broccoli puree idea, is it good? Obviously it is or you wouldn't eat it. I love your unique food choices!

I wish I could bring tons of people with me to the ADA conference. I still can't get over the fact that I am going! MY research involves finding out the beliefs about teaching fresh vegetable food safety that predict whether or not RDs teach fresh vegetable food safety. Wierd, I know, but interesting once you really get into it!

Unknown said...

ooh wow, love your version of the cheesecake, i never thought to put protein powder in there! and dill cornbread! so much fun :)

Kelly said...

Ooo I love the idea of making my own almond butter. I need to get all of the materials to do that and then I am definitely going to try it out.
~Kelly
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

omg i am most DEFINITELY making that cornbread. I'm a HUGE fan of it and haven't really found a recipe that makes corn break look THAT moist and yet so mealy!! It looks delicious!!!

I'm definitely like you! I can't follow a recipe because I like to customize!! Less oil and less sugar for EVERYTHING pretty much. I also don't own salt at home, so i guess i have to eliminate salt from the recipes too!

Ricotta cheesecake?!?! WOW that looks unreal and SO darn tasty. MAN you should open up a cooking school!!! I would totally come! :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin